Monday 12 October 2009

Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest

come to me all who are heavy laden copy

Statue of the ‘Welcoming Christ’, Launde Abbey

the welcoming christ

This statue of the ‘Welcoming Christ’ says so much without words. The language of its meaning and message is universal.

The sculptor has deliberately exaggerated the arms of Christ so that there seems to be no limit to that which they can embrace and welcome.

Grace transcends our boundary-ridden thinking and stretches way beyond the limits of our measured generosity.

All are invited. All are welcomed. Every burden is held.

In Jesus we will find rest for our weary souls.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to know where this wonderful sculpture may be found, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olive, it's at Launde Abbey, the Diocese of Leicester Retreat House. Have a look at http://www.launde.org.uk/index.htm for details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dave. What an incredibly inspiring place for retreats, etc.! I'm so glad I asked the question.

    ReplyDelete